Saturday, June 26, 2010

Day 2

Kyle 290.0 day -4.6

Jenny 166.0 day -0.6

Hi. My name is Kyle. And I'm addicted to food. Well, not so much food, but the emotional response it creates. All day long I've had mental cravings for all sorts of things. You name it, I've thought about it. And my brain is telling me I want it. But within a split second of what seems to be a spontaneous thought, I'm able to react and take control by simply turning my attention away from the euphoric feelings swelling up in my head and to my stomach, which is sending me nothing but, "Everything's fine down here."

Jenny and I have had many discussions and comments throughout the day about these emotions, or thoughts, and how we're realizing more and more something I commented on yesterday; just how much we've overeaten for reasons that have nothing to do with survival or nutrition or hunger. I eat when I'm bored, stressed, happy, sad, excited, depressed, and every other situation you can think.

Another interesting issue has been my thoughts on "entertainment." When going over ideas for a fun evening, I quickly pinpointed that all the ideas that got me excited and looking forward to a night out centered on eating! Not a movie, or hanging with friends, but sitting down to dinner, or enjoying ice cream or snacks. My mind has been preoccupied with all sorts of foods, and my desire to enjoy them - the taste, the act of eating, the feeling full, the huge servings, the eating more than I need. I have become chemically dependent on these sensations! I'm flabbergasted (yeah, I used that word.)

In fact, the preoccupation is tainting these first few days to the point that, at times, my excitement over losing weight, and having that to look forward to, is overshadowed by my disappointment over not being able to eat what I want, and having nothing to look forward to.

Yet in light of that, in these first two days I've found myself more alert, more energetic, and just plain happier. For most of the day, my mood is one of contentment and happiness, highlighted with some excitement, and an over-all euphoric feeling that has me convinced at times that our HCG is something else! Physically, I am experiencing immediate benefits. The mental side is proving to be the true battleground so far.

No comments: